Tuesday, July 25, 2006

With a Friend 10/13/03

Carolyn was sitting in Drew’s room talking about the shoulda, coulda, wouldas of his failed relationship.

“God, I can’t believe that whore did this to me”, he said with his hands covering his eyes. Even though it had been a couple of months since he and Annie broke up, Carolyn still ended up sitting next to him on his bed on a weekly basis.

“I’m sorry, but you should move on with your life and forget about her”, Carolyn said while rubbing his back.

“How am I supposed to do that when everything reminds me of that cheating-?”

“Hey, now stop it. Look, I don’t really know what to say to help you. I’ve never been in your position. Actually I haven’t dated anyone in a long time, so I really don’t know anything, but I think it would be good for you to experience single life for a little bit”, she said while shifting on his bed to face him.

“No, you know what?” he said suddenly feeling inspired, “I’m gonna go out and find a really hot girl and I am gonna hook up with her.”

“I think that’s stupid. Why would you do that?” She looked at him while squinting her eyes and shaking her head, wondering what was going on in his mind. “I mean what if she became emotionally attached or something? Are you going to drop her?”

“Why are you putting me down?”

“Me?” she asked, springing to her feet. “Oh please! Every single day you break down about how Annie hurt you, and everyday you go on about how you’re gonna snag yourself a hot chick and blah, blah, blah. Do you ever do it? NO!”

“Wait a minute-”

“NO! I’m still talking. It’s fine that you want to start dating again, but it’s going to be harder for you to find girls if you set your standards so high. Look…” finally calming down, “everyone wants to be with someone that’s gorgeous and yaddah, yaddah, but you need to know that there are a lot of girls out there that could be better. You just need to open your eyes and look right in front of you.”

“You know it’s not like that” he finally said, noticing that Carolyn was walking towards the door.

“Then how is it? When you find out, will you tell me? I’d really like to hear it. In the meantime, don’t go acting stupid just cause a girl broke your heart.” She noticed that his expression changed back to how pitiful it was before and she regretted the last thing she said. She got away from the door and walked toward him.

“I’m sorry. It’s just that we’ve gotten so close this past year. We don’t know everything about each other, but I do know that you’re better than that.”

“Carolyn...never mind”

“What? I’m just trying to help you. What are friends for?”

No comments: