Thursday, February 08, 2007

Avoidance

Claire and I arrived back at the house and we set everything down on the table. Claire turned to me and said,
"So let me get this straight. You saw the former love of your life after I don't know how many years and you invited him to your mother's birthday party."
"Right"
"Why?"
"I have no idea. It just came out of my mouth. I had no idea what I was saying until after I said it."
"Well you are going to have to do something about that."
"What do you mean? I can't uninvite him. I don't even have his number. I don't think he 's coming anyway. I'm sure he has other things to take care of, like his pregnant wife."
"Are you jealous?"
"Of course not. Why should I be?"
"He was the love of your life."
"Yeah, he was, meaning he no longer is. Plus, I'm engaged to Josh and we're happy together."
"I never said you weren't."
"So what are you saying?"
"I just think that you might still have feelings for him, that's all. I mean, it's ok if you do. You just have to let Josh know."
"Claire, don't be ridiculous. I don't have feelings for Brian anymore, and even if I did, I don't think I'd need to ruin things by telling Josh. I don't want to talk about this anymore, what's done is done."

No comments: