Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Phone Call

Every night, before she fell asleep, _ would imagine herself lying in bed hoping for her cell phone to ring. Not only did she hope for her cell phone to ring, but she also hoped that it would be a certain _ on the other end. The phone would ring and she would answer with a nonchalant "hello". The male voice on the other end would ask, "Is this _?" "Yes", she would answer and knowing damn well who it was would ask, "Who's speaking?"

"It's _", he would answer, wondering if she had truly forgotten his voice. "How are you doing? It's been a long time, hasn't it?" he asked hoping he didn't sound like the heart-breaker he knew he was. "Yeah, it sure has been. I'm doing well, very well", she would brag, "and you?"

"I'm miserable."
"Oh?"
"I miss you terribly."
"I don't know what to say."
"Tell me you miss me too."
"I'm sorry, I don't."
"I know you do. You're the woman that I love."
"I'm sorry, I'm not the woman for you."
"Yes, you are!"
"I have to go."
Then she would hang up, roll over and kiss her sleeping husband and fall asleep.

Whenever her fantasies ended, _ would close her eyes and hope that it would come true. Too bad it never did, until tonight. The phone rang and she answered with a nonchalant "hello". The male voice on the other end asked, "Is this _?" "Yes", she answered and knowing damn well who it was asked, "Who's speaking?"

"It's _", he answered, wondering if she had truly forgotten his voice. "How are you doing? It's been a long time, hasn't it?" he asked hoping he didn't sound like the heart-breaker he knew he was. "Yeah, it sure has been. I'm doing well, very well", she lied, "and you?"

"I'm ecstatic!"
"Oh?"
"I'm getting married."
"I don't know what to say."
"Tell me you're happy for me."
"I'm so happy for you."
"I knew you would be. She's the woman that I love."
"She must really be the woman for you."
"Yes. She is."
"I have to go."
Then she hung up, rolled over, hugged her pillow and cried herself to sleep.

No comments: